Monday, October 15, 2007

Safari of the Wandering Lover


Safari of the Wandering Lover
By F. Ellsworth Lockwood (All rights reserved)
October 15, 2007




I listen for her wings at night,
As if at that late hour,
She might just fluff her feathers,
Flap her wings, and take to air,
Might navigate the hidden dangers,
Of an hour when none can be in flight.

I almost fall asleep but then,
A sudden sound the darkness defies.
The exotic call is like her voice,
Yet it’s only some lonesome bird that cries.  
At daybreak now upon the water,
In my trusty green canoe,
I take up a journey, with perhaps no end,
And again my Wandering Lover pursue.

In lieu of her friendly palms, however,
I feel the wayward thrust
Of those tiny waves on the river,
That one can never trust.


They constantly push and pull my canoe,
While a force, like a silent, mossy lust,
Drags me away from the ponds and the rush.
And the birds cry as we sail away

Into the dangers of rocks and brush.
And so I look for her everywhere,
Up on high and way down under,
Even under cover.
What spirit can this be,
That pulls me here and pushes me there,
And threatens to drag me asunder?

And meanwhile my lover fails to appear.
It's enough to make one wonder.
I awaken in the early morning,
And as I rise, I pray,
“Let this be the very day, the long awaited day,
My Wandering Lover comes to me.”

At night again, before the dawn,
Before the sun’s enlightening feature,
I talk to my friends, the owls who listen.
To every forest creature.  
I tell them, “Shh,, I think she’s asleep.
Please sirs, do not wake her.”
When she is ready, she will arise.
When the time is right, she will seek me.

I do not expect her to flee in the night,
Like some common thief or a robber,
So please do not wake her up.
You should not arouse my lover. 
Many years have now come and gone
With neither trace nor indication.
Still I wait, and wonder, and listen,
And hope that she will hasten.

And even now I feel the tug, the pull,
Of her body and of her mind.
I think somehow she feels it too,
And that we must be intertwined.

And so I wait, and I, cry, and I pray,
And I live again, each and every day,
In search of my Wandering Lover.

#wandering #lover #searchformylover #insearchoflove #love #dating #romance

No comments: